Today is the UN international day of happiness, which means that there is even more of an excuse to give a smile, pay a compliment and roll out some Random Acts of Joy.
If you need some inspiration, here are 25 ideas to spread some joy today.
1. Upload a picture of something that makes you happy at the wonderful Day of Happiness website.
2. Give someone a proper hug. Not a slightly awkward, limp, lacklustre one. A real squeeze. Bonus points if it’s a stranger.
3. Write a letter to a friend you haven’t spoken to for a while.
4. Put on a favourite song and dance. Wildly.
5. Stroke an animal. Unless they’re savage like Miss Pudding. In which case, a virtual stroke will do.
6. Tell your boss that you value what they’ve taught you. Be specific. If you’re the boss, do the same for an employee.
7. Leave a random note for someone to find. If you want pretty stationery, Gabrielle is giving away a free printable here.
8. Buy yourself flowers and pick up a second bunch for someone else too.
9. Pay a stranger a compliment.
10. Send an email to all of your friends and offer to do a good deed for the first person who replies.
11. Ask your local station to write an inspiring quote on the station whiteboard. Get ideas here.
12. Flowerbomb your street and plant seeds in any spare patches of soil.
13. Spend 30 minutes packing shopping for people at the supermarket. Try not to look like you might steal their bags.
14. Let something go. Ok you may be right or you may do more or they may be frustrating, but just let it go.
15. Hide a bar of chocolate in the office with a message to ‘eat me’.
16. Give a personalised book recommendation to someone. Or send them the book anonymously.
17. Be the more loving one. Don’t get stuck in tit for tat and do something kind for your beloved.
18. Admire a neighbour’s garden or a beautiful house further down the street? Put a note through the letterbox to tell them.
19. If you’re a runner, smile at every fellow athlete you pass. Add a high-five if you have the energy.
20. Go old school and put a request for someone on the radio.
21. Buy a stranger’s drink.
22. Meet a friend/loved one from work at the station with their name on a board.
23. Draw a picture of a friend. Sign it and send it to them.
24. Send a package of goodies to a friend’s office address. Let everyone know that they’re loved.
25. Think of someone who has made a difference in your life. Call them to tell them.
Any more to add? Leave a comment and let me know. Have a fantastically happy day.